Friday, September 20, 2024

 

Email to Writer’s Group

Hi Ladies,
I'm sorry to tell you that Ren died last Saturday, Oct 1, at 10 pm. It was far quicker than we expected, actually quicker than the hospice expected. Luckily all five of my kids were here that day, and we were all gathered around his bedside as he slowly slipped away. He was not in pain, but that day he didn't communicate with any of us, so we're not sure how aware he was. Despite that, we acted as if he was very aware, and one or more of us kept rotating in to talk to him, stroke his arms, and generally let him know he was not alone. And luckily there was no day-nurse (staffing problems), so it was just family at the end. Absolutely heart-breaking, but being together made it easier. Just as he passed, the doorbell rang, and the night nurse showed up. She confirmed his death and took over making the right phone calls.

My children have kept up a rotation of presence in my house, day and night, since his passing. This has kept me from thinking and sinking into any funk. I got them to start sorting out all of Ren's books while they've been here. My son the lawyer, accompanied me to the mortuary to settle details there. That was very helpful. According to Ren's adamant request, there will be no funeral. However, the family will gather at his niche when they place his urn inside. We're thinking about having an open house, but we haven't confirmed that yet.

So, needless to say, you guys will have plenty of time to write before our next meeting. I'll have to see how things go and how ready I am to resume regular activities once the kids resume their normal lives and I am by myself. Being an optimist, I imagine I might bounce a couple of times, but I will survive.


thanks always for your support,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Satur day, November 26 Home from Thanksgiving at Mammoth. There was snow on the side of the road, but it didn't snow on us and the roads...